Monday 8 January 2018

The Dark of the Night

Hello All,

Does your cry for help seem to go unanswered? Do you see no light in the darkness of your night?

There are distressing thoughts that keep us awake at night. We lie awake in our beds wondering if they will ever go away.



The Dark of the Night
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling

I lie awake in the dark of the night
I'm so afraid; my heart is filled with fear
My heart is racing with all of its might
Abba Father, please let me know You're here

My world is now a dark, unfeeling pit
I'm lost and trapped; I can't find my way out
So in this dark, unfeeling pit I sit
I cry out for help in a desperate shout

My loud, desperate cry echoes from the walls
I cannot see the light, God, please help me
Listen to me; answer my earnest call
To my murky waters, bring clarity


Points for Reflection:
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.
(Psalms 42:11 ESV)
·       Have you ever tried talking to yourself? Have you tried motivating yourself about your ability to face a challenge (i.e. ‘You can do it!’)?
·       Like the psalmist, have you tried asking yourself, ‘Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?’ What would your reply be?
·       There are many hurdles and heartaches that can throw us off balance and we cannot seem to get up. We are too wounded to continue fighting the battles of this tumultuous life. Our souls are downcast and in turmoil.
·       Yet the psalmist does not end with that question but reminds himself of the hope he has in God, his salvation.
·       Jesus faced the darkness of God’s judgment as He hung on the cross in agony. He bore the pain that we deserved for our sins. Instead of darkness, we have received the Light of our salvation.
·       God may or may not save us from our trials. But He will walk with us in the darkest of nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment