Can you recall the last time you had lost all hope in a bleak situation?
You had done everything within the little ‘power’ that you had but all your efforts seemed wasted. It is usually at this point that we think of turning to God in prayer, although that should be the first thing we do in a crisis.
When all our earthly resources are spent to no avail and all hope seems gone, it is comforting to be reminded of our God who is in control of all things.
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling
The unfathomable ways of the Lord
Are beyond our finite understanding
What we know is His Word, the Spirit’s sword
In life’s uncertainties, we can still sing
The unfathomable ways of heaven
Bring our anxious, weary soul to its knees
Our lives may be shattered, our hearts broken
But our hopes and prayers, God knows and sees
The unfathomable ways of the Father
Set our confounding confusion at rest
His perfect wisdom is like no other
He refines and prunes us through trials and tests
With all that is unsolved in our hearts
With all the ambiguity of the future
Love and mercy, God graciously imparts
We’re saved by His grace, of this we can be sure
Until we see our Saviour face to face
We can trust Him as we climb this steep slope
Till He reveals the future by His grace
Until then, we patiently wait and hope
Points for Reflection:
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word, I hope;
(Psalms 130:5 ESV)
· God often (and almost always) does not work things according to our expectations. He is much wiser than us and His ways are infinitely higher. We do not have the full picture but He does.
· When Jesus died an excruciating death on the cross, His disciples lost all hope. But their hope was renewed and reawakened when they saw their resurrected Saviour whose only way of saving them from their sins was through the shame and pain of the cross.
· God brings good out of evil, even if we cannot see the good in the evil that has befallen us. But let us continue bringing our hopes to God in prayer and committing all outcomes into His sovereign hands.
· Until God reveals the future to us, let us wait and hope.
· ‘Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, “Wait and Hope.”’ - Alexandre Dumas