Monday 21 August 2017

The Sacred Shore of Certainty

Hello All,

The shoreline is an unsettling boundary to be hovering over. There is great uncertainty in how high the tide can rise or how far it recedes. The crashing waves upon the shore bring us much fear of the unknown.

We feel helpless in the face of uncertainty. We have so little control over our future. All we can do is watch the sea engulf the castles we have been building.

It is on the shoreline of uncertainty that we realise the impermanence and fragility of life. It is on this shoreline that God calls us to the sacred shore of certainty.



By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling

The clouds are looming; the sky is dimming
The tides are rising; my heart is racing
The pounding waves are rolling towards me
Here is the shoreline of uncertainty

On this sacred shoreline, I am kneeling
With helpless hands folded, I am praying
The pounding waves are rolling towards me
Here is the shoreline of uncertainty

Against the pounding waves, I am crying
In the darkness, on God, I’m depending
The pounding waves are washing over me
My body immersed in uncertainty

I am powerless; I can do nothing
I am helpless, but to God’s grace, I cling
I have loved and lost, but He comforts me
He leads me to the shore of certainty

He’s saved and redeemed me, so I can sing
In sadness and sorrow, much joy He brings
I am His beloved child; He loves me
Here I stand on the shore of certainty


Points for Reflection:
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(Romans 8:38-39 ESV)
·       The Apostle Paul expresses absolute certainty in the inseparable and everlasting love of God in Christ Jesus.
·       Even if you have lost everything and everyone you treasured in this world, you will never lose the love of God. He is there to help you pull through the difficult times, even when all hope seems lost.
·       What uncertainties are you struggling with? Does the future bring you much fear?
·       I am powerless; I can do nothing. I am helpless, but to God’s grace, I cling. I have loved and lost, but He comforts me. He leads me to the shore of certainty.
·       He’s saved and redeemed me, so I can sing. In sadness and sorrow, much joy He brings. I am His beloved child; He loves me. Here I stand on the shore of certainty.
·       C.S. Lewis said, ‘He who has God and everything else has no more than he who has God only.’ Of this, we can be certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment