Sunday 19 October 2014

The Rough and Broken Road (Episode 2)

Hello All,
The part of the poem that we will be emphasising on today is highlighted in blue. The black colour text in the poem is a recap of what we have already done last week.
Let us now continue our journey with the second episode of this poem…
The Rough and Broken Road (Episode 2)
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling (4th September 2014)
The rough road that lies before me is uncertain
The future stays hidden; it’s veiled by a curtain
If only I could clearly see what lies ahead
But all my eyes perceive is a thick fog instead

I glanced behind at the broken road I’ve travelled
Painful wounds from the journey have left me shattered
‘Oh Lord, please give me endurance to carry on
Soothe my aching feet for the journey has been long’

‘Help me now to put the broken road behind me
Beyond the disappointments, lift my eyes to see
Your purpose in putting me through the trials and pain
For Your refining fire has brought me much gain’

‘Although I cannot see what lies ahead of me
I trust in Your love, providence and sovereignty
Jesus, may Your rod and staff lead me safely through
The darkest valleys when I know not what to do’

As I trudged along the rough and perilous road
My legs gave way; I fell under the heavy load
My eyes brimmed with tears of anguish and agony
I was too weary to continue this journey

‘Hey, are you alright?’ I heard a voice behind me
So I turned around and saw Geoffrey and Jinny
My friends were looking at me with concern and care
They said, ‘Tell us what’s wrong; let us your burden share’

So I unslung the bag from my aching shoulders
I said, ‘My burden has been getting heavier
With each passing day till I can take it no more
My poor hands and feet are bleeding, wounded and sore’

Jinny reached into her pouch and drew out a vial
‘This balm called, ‘prayer’, your wounds it will soothe and lull
Let us apply this salve on your feet and hands
Rest in the Lord till you are strong enough to stand’

TO BE CONTINUED…

Points for Reflection:
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
(Galatians 6:2 ESV)
·        Have you been bearing your burdens, worries and struggles on your own?
·        Many times, we think we are strong, smart and capable enough to handle adversities on our own but we will eventually come to a breaking point at a certain stage in our lives.
·        Why don’t you pray for God to guide and lead you to a trustworthy brother or sister in Christ to confide your problems with and support you with heartfelt prayers?
·        Do you know of people who are bearing their burdens, worries and struggles on their own?
·        Have you been keeping them in prayer?

·        In what ways can you be reaching out and supporting your wounded fellow Christians?

No comments:

Post a Comment