Saturday 11 October 2014

The Rough and Broken Road (Episode 1)















The Rough and Broken Road
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling (29th Aug 2014)
The rough road that lies before me is uncertain
The future stays hidden; it’s veiled by a curtain
If only I could clearly see what lies ahead
But all my eyes perceive is a thick fog instead

I glanced behind at the broken road I’ve travelled
Painful wounds from the journey have left me shattered
‘Oh Lord, please give me endurance to carry on
Soothe my aching feet for the journey has been long’

‘Help me now to put the broken road behind me
Beyond the disappointments, lift my eyes to see
Your purpose in putting me through the trials and pain
For Your refining fire has brought me much gain’

‘Although I cannot see what lies ahead of me
I trust in Your love, providence and sovereignty
Jesus, may Your rod and staff lead me safely through
The darkest valleys when I know not what to do’

Points for Reflection:
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.             
(Romans 8:28 ESV)
·         Many people tend to misunderstand what the word, ‘good’, denotes in the Bible verse above.
·         There is a common misconception that God will not let any difficulties and pain befall those He loves.
·         But God’s understanding of ‘good’ transcends much higher than that of ours.
·         God often uses disappointments, hurt, betrayal, traumas and calamities to refine our character and teach us patience in the face of adversities.
·         Whatever happens, we know that God is sovereign and in control of every single detail of our lives.
·         Reflect on the adversities you have gone through or are going through at the present moment. How have God used them for your good? Are you finding it difficult to trust that good can come out of evil? Why don’t you bring your burdens to God in prayer?
·         Do you know of someone who is going through the valley of despair? In what ways can you be supporting that person?

·         The greatest good that God has brought forth from the most severe torment in history is our salvation through the death and suffering of Christ on the cross. When we are tempted to drown ourselves in our sorrows, let us shift our eyes to gaze upon the cross. Let us immerse ourselves in the depth of God’s love and know that no trials are deeper than His mercy and grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment