Monday 10 July 2017

Lessons Learnt from Frailty

Hello All,

I have been recovering from a chest infection that lasted for almost a month.

The most difficult part for me was not the discomfort (although it was highly undesirable), but losing my voice. I love singing and it was just impossible to sing well with a hoarse voice.

Apart from the wide variety of medication I was consuming, I tried every possible home remedies (e.g. honey, warm salt water, lemon juice) I could think of to restore my voice. I was desperate to recover what I had lost.

I am so thankful to God that I am much better now and almost recovered. My voice has returned although phlegm and coughing often get in the way.

I have learnt many lessons through frailty.



Lessons Learnt from Frailty
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling

The frailty of my body reminds me
Of my weaknesses and mortality
It reminds me of my limitations
Of my dependence on God's provision

When ailments take my voice away from me
When my hoarse voice can't sing of Your glory
My heart lifts up to You a silent song
It's You who's helped me sing all along

The frailty of my body reminds me
Of Your strength and immortality
One day, You will make all broken things new
Restore this world with the freshness of dew

In Jesus, we are a new creation
We're citizens of a holy nation
Though we're not perfected, let's fix our eyes
On our true heavenly home in the sky


Points for Reflection:
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.
(2 Corinthians 4:16 ESV)
·       I realised that my voice and everything I own come from God.
·       It is so tempting at times to stake our claim on our intellect, talents and other possessions and we unconsciously take pride in them. Little do we realise that what we own can be easily snatched away from us through sicknesses, natural disasters, and forces beyond our control.
·       We live in a fallen world that is decaying. But God will renew this world when Jesus Christ returns.
·       For those who trust in Him, we are a new creation in Him. Though our physical bodies are wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.
·       The Gospel gives us hope when ailments and misfortune strike. We know that through it all, God is in control of all things and we can rest in Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment