Are you ashamed of tears? Do you feel that tears are only for weak people?
Do you feel awkward seeing other people cry?
God has given us tears for a reason. Do not treat tears as a curse, but treat them as a gift from God.
The Gift of Tears
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling
Tears bring relief to a heavy heart
A heart clogged with unspoken sorrows
Why do we wish that tears would depart?
Tears heal the soul like a lush, green meadow
God has given us the gift of tears
No tears that wet His feet are wasted
Cry if you must; without shame and fear
Christ comforts the broken-hearted
Divine tears fell at Gethsemane
Can you feel the anguish of Christ's tears?
Tears and blood mingled in agony
Because of Christ, to God, we can draw near
Tears brought relief to my heavy heart
A heart clogged with unexpressed sorrows
God's love has caused sorrows to depart
God's love gives me hope for tomorrow
Points for Reflection:
(John 11:35 ESV)
· Crying is not a sign of weakness. It takes courage to embrace and express the sadness of our hearts.
· Jesus Christ, the only perfect man who ever lived, cried countless of times. He is God who chose to walk in the shoes of broken humanity. He cried over the death of His friend, Lazarus, although He knew He was going to raise him up from the dead. The knowledge of the future did not prevent Him from expressing the sorrow of the present.
· Is your heart clogged with unspoken sorrows? Are you reluctant to express them in tears before God in prayer?
· Divine tears fell at Gethsemane. Can you feel the anguish of Christ's tears? Tears and blood mingled in agony. Because of Christ, to God, we can draw near.
· Find comfort in tears shed in the arms of our Lord Jesus Christ. He knows your sorrows and tears.