What is your greatest desire? What sets your heart on fire? What motivates you to action?
Some believe that desires are the roots of all the suffering we see in our world. They believe that a person needs to detach himself from all desires to reach a peaceful state where suffering has no effect on him.
However, the Bible tells us that the act of desiring is not wrong, but it is the object and measure of desire that counts.
What Do You Desire Most?
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling (10 February 2017)
What is your greatest desire?
What sets your heart on fire?
What motivates you to action?
What stirs your fiery passion?
Stop for a moment and reflect
On desires and their effects
How they affect the way we act
Their influence often trumps the facts
We desire what we don’t own
We crave and covet; groan and moan
When our desires are unmet
The blessings we have, we forget
When we get what we desire
Do we find that we require
More things to quench and satisfy
Our many wants that reach the sky?
Our longings point us to the One
Who did what no one could have done
Who sacrificed His life for us
Are our desires for Jesus?
Do we desire God's kingdom?
It's in Christ we find true freedom
Freedom from chasing earthly things
In Him, we find rest from longings
What do you desire most?
Is it in Jesus that you boast?
Do you long to be more like Him?
Does His love fill you to the brim?
Points for Reflection:
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
(Colossians 3:1-2 ESV)
· Not all earthly desires are bad. Desires for relationships, knowledge, ambition and others are good and healthy desires to have.
· However, if earthly desires are elevated above God, then those desires become heart idols.
· The matter here is not eliminating those good earthly desires, but to place them beneath the cross of Jesus Christ.
· However, if you have bad desires, such as seeking revenge against someone who’s wronged you, having murderous thoughts or lusting after someone or something that’s not yours, then it is all too clear that you need to bring those desires to God in prayer and ask the Holy Spirit to help you overcome those desires.
· Is Jesus the One you desire the most? Do you desire to build His kingdom above your little kingdoms? Do you desire to become more like Christ in character and virtue? Do you desire to bring the Gospel to those who have not put their trust in Christ? Do you desire to love and encourage your brothers and sisters in Christ and point them to Him?