What does ‘friendship’ mean to you?
There are some who do not feel the need for friendship. They prefer casual acquaintances and communicate with others only out of necessity.
However, many of us long for loyal and trustworthy friendships. We yearn for friends to displace the loneliness in our hearts with the warmth of their presence.
As C.S. Lewis aptly wrote, ‘Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.’
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling
Dedicated to a dear friend for her friendship in Christ
What does ‘friendship’ mean to you?
Some say, ‘Someone I can talk to’
‘A pal who keeps me company’
‘A buddy who hangs out with me’
‘Someone who shares the same hobbies’
‘One who helps in adversities’
‘One who cheers me up when I’m blue’
Others say, ‘I don’t have a clue!’
King Solomon had much to say
In Proverbs about friends who’ll stay
True in times of sunshine and rain
And those who’ll leave you for their gain
‘A man of many companions
May come to ruin and destruction
But there’s a friend who sticks closer
Than a brother or a sister’
Companions are different from friends
They will not stay true to the end
They may serve as good company
But leave you in adversity
A friend’s love is constant and true
In spring’s blossom and winter blue
No matter what you’re going through
She will never stop loving you
Although her words may hurt at times
She has your best interest in mind
She tells the truth for your well being
Even if words of truth may sting
Her counsel to you is heartfelt
The ice of endless sorrows melt
With the warmth her words provide
In sadness, she is by your side
Although our friends are not perfect
Their loyalty and love reflect
The Source of friendship - Christ Jesus
He’s the Friend who will not fail us
Blessed are the wounds of a Friend
One who was faithful to the end
Who died so that we may be whole
Who brought salvation to our soul
In the fierce storm and rising tide
Jesus is always by our side
What a Friend we have in Jesus
A Friend who will never fail us
Points for Reflection:
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.”
(John 15:12-14 ESV)
· Those were the very words of Jesus. He is the Friend who laid down His life for us. He went through excruciating pain, suffering and finally death to reconcile unlovable sinners to God. We who were once God’s enemies are now friends of God.
· Our Friendship with Jesus should be the anchor of our friendship with others. We are to love our friends with the love that we have first received from Him. This love is one of wholehearted loyalty, trust, and sacrifice.
· Our friendship with others should always point us to Christ. There is always a danger of elevating a human friendship above God. When that happens, we become possessive, self-seeking and to put it plainly, unbearable.
· Since God has lavished on us such boundless grace and unconditional love, we likewise should put the needs and interests of others above our own. We should love others without expecting anything in return. This calls for sacrifice and the laying down of our lives.
· Do you value the Friendship you have with Christ? Does your love for Him motivate you to live for Him and obey Him? Are there areas in your life that you need to submit under His lordship?
· How is your attitude towards friendships? Are you loving the friends that God has brought into your lives with the marvellous love that you have received from Him? Are you pointing your friends to Christ? Are your friendships anchored in Christ?