As fragile and fallen mortals living in a messed up and broken world, none of us are immune to fear. We may try our best to ignore our fears, deny them, numb them and when we have no choice, face them with our own strength and dexterity.
What are you fearful of and what do you think is a virtue for fear?
A Virtue for Fear
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling (13 February 2016)
There's a virtue I seek as I advance in age
One that helps me face the turning of a page
It urges me to acknowledge sadness and rage
And release them like a Canary from its cage
There's a virtue I seek in times of uncertainty
One that helps me discard men's approval of me
It calls me to express my thoughts with honesty
And cast off all fear of what others think of me
There's a virtue given by God to those in fear
One that helps them realise that He is right here
He is right here though friends may leave or disappear
Courage - bestowed by God when the battle is near!
Points for Reflection:
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
(John 16:33 ESV)
· Those were the comforting words of Jesus Christ to His disciples who were troubled over Jesus’ prediction of His imminent death.
· At that point of time, they could not understand that their Master’s death was the only way that they could receive peace with God – reconciliation between a holy God and sinful man. That is the ultimate peace that mankind needs in the face of uncertainty and fear. It is a peace that surpasses all understanding.
· In this world, we will have trouble and much reason to fear. We will have pressures from without and within. We will face disappointments and heartaches. We will be hurt and discouraged. There will be points in our lives where we just want to give up and throw in the towel because of discouraging remarks from others. We feel inadequate to continue the work that God has apportioned for us to do.
· But what matters most is not approval from men but God. It is God who bestows to us the courage we need to live for Him and to continue the good work that He has begun in us.
· What are you fearful of? Are you depending on yourself instead of on God to face your fears? Take your fears to God in prayer and He will give you the courage you need.