The part of the poem that we will be emphasising on today is highlighted in blue. The black colour text in the poem is a recap of what we have already done last week.
Let us now continue with the second episode of this poem…
Contentment – With What We Have (Episode 2)
By Joanne Liaw Sook Ling (12th December 2014)
Why are our hearts unsatisfied and not at rest?
What are they seeking in their neverending quests?
Where do they run to for fulfillment and meaning?
What are their unmet wants, desires and longings?
For the things we do not have, we yearn and desire
To procure and gain them at all costs, we aspire
Just when we thought we have secured them in our hands
They slip too easily through our fingers like sand
Our dreams are shattered with broken expectations
Disillusionment sets in with disappointments
Are we able to thank God in spite of failures?
Are we able to find joy in our Creator?
When was the last time we paused to count our blessings?
To rest by the meadow and delight in its springs?
Have we been too focused on our pursuit of dreams?
That we fail to notice the flowers by the stream?
Perhaps we have neglected the overflowing
Providence, loved ones, family, friends and blessings
That God has so graciously bestowed and given
Do we take the time to thank the God of heaven?
TO BE CONTINUED...
Points for Reflection:
 But godliness with contentment is great gain,
 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.
 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
(1 Timothy 6:6-8 ESV)
· We are often so distracted by the things we do not have that we fail to be grateful to God for the many undeserved blessings which He has showered upon our lives.
· So immersed are we in our search for greener pastures that we do not take the time to enjoy the beauty of the flowers by the stream.
· What are things and who are the people you should be grateful for?
· In the midst of all the gifts that God has bestowed to us, the most precious gift is found in His saving grace lavished lovingly on undeserving sinners like us.
· Have you come to trust in the saving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ?
· Is your heart overflowing with joy and thankfulness for God’s gift of salvation? Or has familiarity with this wonderful gift bred contempt in your heart?
· Why don’t you take some time thanking the God of heaven for those wonderful gifts?